Saturday, May 31, 2008

Iced Wine

Happy Saturday everyone!

Crazy day. Planned on doing a bunch of stuff outside, but Mother Nature had other ideas, in the form of rain and a really wild thunderstorm. As I was cleaning up after dinner I noticed Heidi putting something into the fridge and said "Why don't you put that Riesling we got 2 weeks ago in for tonight?" She slyly replied "Because I put the Bully Hill Riesling in." It warm and muggy, a great night for a cold, sweeter wine, and I was looking forward to it.

Move ahead a few hours, we put Giada to bed and I was finishing up a project in the kitchen. I go to the fridge to get the wine, and it wasn't there. Checked out the door...nothing. Checked the crispers...nothing. There's Sean, scratching his bald head.

About to ask Heidi, when something said "check the freezer" and my heart sank. Four hours had passed, I was going to open the door to find a burst cork, maybe Riesling slush on the frozen peas...a real mess. Nope...just a very cold bottle. The lovely wife had figured we'd be opening it earlier than we did...I sidetracked her with other things.

Poured two glasses, handed one to her and took a sip. WHAT A SURPRISE! Bursting with pineapple, almost like a Traminette or Ravat, but not quite. Still some spice, and as my glass warms the pineapple is fading in with the rest of the flavors. But that initial taste...that's one I'll remember.

So, now the big plan is to play some Wii; Super Mario Galaxy was obviously designed by individuals under the influence of something much stronger than wine, but it's perfectly enjoyable with this icy treat.

I enjoy nights like this...simple nights. A tasty bottle of wine, silly activites with loved ones, and no time limit (got a nap today, I'm good till all hours of the night.)

Gotta go help her find a Power Star now....

No comments: