Wednesday, August 27, 2008

2008 Blueberry Wine: Part 1

Big day for the blog...first batch of wine being made here!

I HAD to have had one of the more interesting grocery carts today. I need a few items to make the wine tonight: 6 lbs of raisins, 12 lbs of sugar and 3 pts of blueberries (to bring me up to a total of 12 lbs). Add to that the box of cat litter and the nondairy creamer Heidi wanted, and I was almost nervous about getting in line. No good could come of this combination, right.

So, the wine:
Specific gravity was off the chart..or at least off my great-grandfather's hydrometer that I think saw more moonshine than wine. I broke my wine hydrometer while carrying it up from the cellar.
Acid was 2.9-3.0. I had the test strips and it was in that neighborhood. Going to get a real acid test kit on Friday and do it right.
When the must cools off I'm going to add Pasteur Red yeast.

The recipe (Full Bodied) .

We'll see how this turns out.

Till then.

No comments: